This trip has served as a really valuable experience for me to reflect on and reevaluate my strengths and weaknesses as a leader. Even if you've only just met me, it's pretty easy to conclude that I am an introvert, through and through. A lot of people would automatically think introversion to be a weakness, but I really disagree with that assessment.
All of the reading and presentations I have seen have reinforced the idea that there is no 'typical' leader personality. EQ (emotional intelligence) is very important, but it can be learned and is not exclusive to either extroverts or introverts. Actually, many leaders are introverts, including Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, and Charles Schwab. I have found that my quiet disposition creates a lot of trust between me and people I work with. They see me (correctly) as someone who will listen to them and not repeat our conversations to everyone. I don't say much, but I try to be observant and reliable. So while I'm not always picked first to be a team leader, I often end up in that position through my stability and work ethic.
I'm not always great at verbalizing my thoughts, but that doesn't mean I'm bad at communicating. I don't express every thought or opinion right as they come to me, but that doesn't mean I don't have any; it means I'm processing what I say before I say it. I don't have raw charisma, but that doesn't mean I can't inspire people. I'm not always the loudest or most assertive, but that doesn't mean people won't follow me. I'm not an extrovert, but that doesn't mean I'm not a leader.
That being said, there is always room for growth and improvement and I admit that it's likely I have quite a bit more room than many of my peers. I need to speak up more and learn how to have better conversations with people. It's my first instinct to just be quiet, but doing that doesn't always help me and even makes me seem standoffish and unfriendly. This trip has definitely made me understand the importance of recognizing strengths and weaknesses and using that understanding to make myself a better leader and person.
*I'll also be writing an entry about my tour of Belfast today, it was super interesting!*
No comments:
Post a Comment